Monday, September 5, 2011

25 in a month

So I looked at my calendar and realised that in one month i will be 25. Meaning my birthday will have gone and i'll just be 25.

I've never been big on celebrating my birthday. I don't have a lot of great birthday memories because things always seem to go wrong on that day.

Some amazing birthday i've had have been thanks to my beautiful partner BJ who always tries to make the day as amazing for me as possible.

The BEST birthday that comes to mind is when i turned 22 in 2008. BJ and I were travelling for 5 months and my birthday was celebrated on the Dawn and Drew farm in West Bend Wisconsin for 3 days with people from near and far who we'd never physically met, coming to party in the barn.

Drew Domkus, Dawn Meceli, Megan Newman and BJ Carter

I can remember the countdown to midnight. Everyone decided to climb up to the loft and i have this great group photo taken just after they all screamed
'5... 4... 3... 2... 1.......Happy Birthday!!!!'


It was an amazing experience and truely is my most favourite birthday memory ever.

Generally i prefer to spend my birthday with BJ and Cooper and just forget about the rest of the world for the day. Forget about how much junk food I've eaten or that i'm still in my PJ's at 3pm... Just be happy with the two most important people in my life.

Cooper and I 2009

But people keep asking me what i'm doing for this birthday. 25 seems to be a big thing in everyone elses mind so now i'm trying to decide if i can be bothered organising something for it.

I don't have a great success rate with birthday parties and I don't know that people would actually want to come if i did organise something. I don't want to set myself up for failure, planning something, getting excited about it and then being let down because people have their own lives to live and couldn't come to my little party. The last thing i want is to put in all that effort and only have 3 people turn up (And that includes BJ and I in the 3).

So what should i do?!

Should i organise a small gathering at my house?
A dinner out with some friends?
An evening at a bar for drinks?
Or just plan nothing and do what i normally do on my birthday?

I think the main issue i have is, I'm the organiser... I organise everything, and this is the one thing i really don't want to have to organise. It's not that i don't want to do anything, more that i'd just prefer someone else felt it important enough that they decide to plan something special for my birthday.

Any suggestions, ideas or comments? I'm be happy to hear them.

xx
Smorgy
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Feel free to come to Florida and I will cook for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sort of the same problem.I'll be 30 this December and I've never had a birthday party... I usually set up my day so that it's as peaceful as possible. As peaceful as I can manage anyway. I try to take my birthday off from work, sleep in, maybe Christmas shop a bit and organize dinner out with some pals. But never a party. I think I confuse my friends. I hate surprises but secretly want a surprise party. Ah, hell. This year I'm throwing myself a party, DAMMIT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing to do is gather lots of people, go out and get crazy drunk.. So for the rest of us who don't drink that much its rather annoying! Mine is in 2 or so weeks and everyone from work keeps asking what I am doing..it is only 22!

    Do what makes you comfortable and happy :) I am having an icecream cake at home. Suits me just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely recommend a joint birthday outing with Sam, to The Statics' EP Launch! On the Friday of your birthday.

    Best plan ever? Yes please. Only flaw is that Cooper can't come.

    ReplyDelete